Monday, March 13, 2017

1st Meetup with the Volunteers

Praise the Lord that there are 1 long-term volunteer (approx. 30 months) and another 2 volunteers (about 4 weeks) coming to son-rise J. I still remember during the Son-Rise Startup Program 2016 when we were first introduced the topics of volunteers, I felt that this seems impossible. My thought was "Where do I find people?" And thanks to Embrace Autism, it becomes a reality.

I had my first meeting with all 3 volunteers last Saturday, 11th March 2017. For the past 2 weeks, I have been busy charting J's social development, setting program goals, planning works and doing the powerpoint presentation about J and the important concepts the volunteers need to know, in order to son-rise J.

2 days back, one of my friends asked me what I have been busy with? And I only have 1 child (She did not know J's condition). She said she has 3. And in the past (her children are now in their 20s), she would stay till late to print worksheets for her children and she reminded me she has 3, I only have 1 child. Well, I jokingly told her taking care of my 1 child is equivalent to taking care of her 3 children.

Well, if we look at a childcare centre or a mainstream preschool classroom, it is usually 1 teacher to 6-8 students, which shows if the children are neurotypical, it is still manageable, though I think 1 teacher to 6 students, I find it too many students to a teacher. Whereas for special needs child in EIPIC, it is usually 1 teacher to 1, or maximum 2 students.

As I think back what I have been busy with, I felt like I was back to working days - planning, setting goals and having meetings. Indeed, as a parent, I never expected myself to be doing these. If we look at parents who have neurotypical child, which parents do planning, set goals, chart social development and plan meetings? But I love this. It is definitely different from work because all that I am doing, it's all for my beloved son.

No comments:

Post a Comment